rosariawetzell · 1 month ago
On June 1, 1888, the Baltimore Combat Fighter Review annexes some 23 square miles of territory on the north and west from Baltimore County. This includes some seven fire stations of the recently created county fire department that immediately become city department companies. On March 1, 1890, the first fully paid company Engine 15 organizes. By January 1, 1893, all of the call-men have been replaced the department now fully paid. One of the greatest challenges ever faced by the department begins on the cold and windy morning of February 7, 1904. An automatic heat activated thermostat alarm is received before 11 am from the John E. Hurst Company building on the south side of German (now Redwood) Street between Liberty Street and Hopkins Place. The six-story, iron-front building is packed full of dry goods. As events unfold, the building becomes enveloped in flames, spreading through the block to several blocks becoming a raging conflagration moving out of control northward then southeastward. Fire departments from all over as far as away as New York City respond the combined force of over 1,200 firefighters stopping the inferno after 30 hours. The Great Fire of Baltimore consumes over 86 city blocks destroying 1,526 buildings. There is one possible fatality and injuries are minor the Chief Engineer and a York Pennsylvania firefighter suffering the worst. Three city firefighters later succumb to illness as a result of their exposure. https://spontaneousreviews.com/combat-fighter-review/
You must first create an account to post.